Gameplay Video Impressions

General Discussion about Gryphon Knight Epic

Gameplay Video Impressions

Postby GryphonFan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Gyphon Knight Epic is already developed enough to have gameplay videos, and Cyber Rhino Studios did a good job providing a few over the course of the Kickstarter. I thought it might be worthwhile to have a thread where we can discuss what we thought of the gameplay in the videos so far.

The gameplay videos for Gryphon Knight Epic are on Cyber Rhino Studio's Youtube page.

As for my thoughts, first of all the gameplay videos show off some great art and animation. The sprite work in general is high-quality, with a good level of detail and some nice lighting effects. Plus, there are some really nice touches for enemy animations, like the old man almost falling off the raft after firing in the Sea Stage and the Kolbold celebrating after hitting Sir Oliver. Attention to detail like that is really appreciated and makes the world feel more alive.

Also, the videos show off a good variety of enemies and situations. Being able to change direction and choose different paths makes Gryphon Knight Epic stand out, which is good since there are a lot of standard shmups that don't have those mechanics. It was good to see there were different styles of enemies and attacks to keep gameplay dynamic. For example, seeing different types of Kolbolds each with distinct attacks and even being able to ride pterodactyls was great. I hope we'll see more like that to keep gameplay exciting.

Finally, the parts of the boss fight again Simiel Totec we saw were interesting, particularly the part where the rider and mount become two different targets with different attacks! I was surprised that only the rider had a health bar. I can't wait to try the Beta and see how a boss fight against two characters like that works.
GryphonFan
Beta Backer

Re: Gameplay Video Impressions

Postby Joe Junior » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Glad to "hear" your words :) It always good motivation.

We are trying hard to keep the enemy variety up and to make them as interesting as possible. DanKai slaves a lot over these details, but we are proud of the results so far. Aquila's animations have been improved since those videos were made, and more enemies have come to life. I hope you'll enjoy.

Sandro should post in the Beta Forums soon the same build we sent the press. We will probably post an updated build as soon as we stabilize some issues.
Joe Junior
Developer

Return to General Discussion